Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Share & Tell!

I've been finding out a lot of exciting details for my trip lately & decided that all of these things would make for a wonderful VERY FIRST REAL BLOG UPDATE. Hooty hoo! Some basics: I'm going to be in Kenya (more specifically, Kijabe) for two months this summer. I'm traveling with a team of 12 others and from the interaction and communication we've had via Internet, they all seem amazingly sick-diculous. I absolutely cannot wait to meet & adventure with all of these wonderful people.

I've already gotten all of my cheerful vaccinations (no yellow fever here!) and am counting down the days to start taking the pills for Malaria. I hear they'll come along with some pretty intense dreaming...I do love dreams!

The trip will start out in Chattanooga, TN on June 3 for a couple days of training camp. From there we'll drive to Atlanta and start our flying adventures! I just got our flight information this evening and can say with confidence that this is going to be a doozy. A wonderful and exciting doozy. WHAT UP JET LAG? Here it is:

Depart: Atlanta-June 7 - 5:30 PM
Arrive: Amsterdam (THE FREAKING NETHERLANDS!)-June 8 - 8:15 AM
Depart: Amsterdam-June 8 - 11:15 AM
Arrive: Nairobi (KENYA KENYA KENYA!)-June 8 - 8:15 PM

Depart: Nairobi-August 1 - 8:10 AM
Arrive: Amsterdam-August 1 - 3:55 PM
Depart: Amsterdam-August 1 - 4:55 PM
Arrive: Atlanta-August 1 - 8:20 PM

When we reach Kijabe we will be staying on the property of our contact, Pastor Simon. We are camping all throughout our trip & it is a whole lot of exciting mixed in with a little bit of "oh boy!".

At the moment I know only broad details about the work we will be doing in Kijabe, which involves work with Pastor Simon's local church, a local hospital, a local orphanage, and a nearby tribe (the Maasai tribe). Specifics aren't a concern at the moment...this entire experience is going to be so new and exciting and unfamiliar & all of it will just come how it comes. I'm peeing my pants in excitement at the thought of all that will be learned from the people we will be with all summer. My mind is going to be blown and I just can't even wait.

I'll be using this here blog to share my experiences throughout the summer & I'm excited to have it as a way to connect with everyone from home. This whole adventure is a huge, wonderful mixture of being scared/intimidated and exploding with excitement. Thank you so much to everyone who has been through this whole process to support me in every way imaginable. What a great thing it is to be reminded of how many wonderful people in your life love and support you. I'm so thankful for that.

16 days...wallah wallah!

7 comments:

  1. IM SOOOOOO EXCITED!!! Makes me want to go!! This is awesome. cant wait for you to go and learn so much and help so much and love so much!!! You're awesome! i love you so!
    -Chaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were going to Kenya!! Yippee! That's exciting Ms. Sarah :) You'll have a blast and so much love and prayers from friends :)

    -Megan

    P.S. If you see any big bugs, tell them, "Just go away!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU TOO! Got any spare room in that suitcase of yours?! I cant' wait to hear all about your adventures. I'll be praying, heck, I am praying for you! AHHHHH IN 20 DAYS YOU'LL BE IN KENYAAAA!

    - Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY BEST FRIEND IS GOING TO KENYA! WHENYA? Oh, June 7th, good thing I know now. YOU ARE THE MOST AWESOME, MOST BEAUTIFUL, MOST INSPIRATIONAL YOUNG LADY I KNOW! Hey hey hey, hear what i say, the girl that is the best is SARAH MCKAY! I love you like none other.

    Your dearest friend,

    be fri fo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saaaaaarraaaaahh!
    I am so excited that you are getting to go to Kenya!! You are going to have such an awesome time BUT you will be missed in Boone. Im so excited to hear about your adventures...especially becoming friends with that baby elephant - he was just so darn cute. I will be praying for you and i love yooooou!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea!!!

    Today is the day. Wowzers!
    I'm praying you have a safe trip!

    I LOVE YOU!

    ~Sarah Belles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you!!!!!!! Have a BLAST! I'm praying for you!
    love love love

    --allison

    ReplyDelete