Thursday, June 9, 2011

we're here!

greetings from kijabe! after about two days of travel, we finally stepped foot into beautiful kenya late last night. even though we have been here for less than a day, i am in awe of the beauty of this place and these people. we took a walking tour of kijabe today and saw the town. we walked through a school at one point and there were so many young children out playing. i can't even explain the pure joy in their eyes when they see us. one young boy ran up to me and when i held out my arms to hug him, he jumped into them to have me hold him. he kept grabbing my face and pulling to to his own, smiling so big. he only spoke swahili but it is so cool because two of the girls on our team speak swahili. she asked him what his name was and his name was kevin for all of you back in boone :) for the three minutes i spent with kevin, my heart was filled. if that experience is any clue into the love and joy that will be experienced for the rest of this summer, it is sure going to be a good one. tomorrow we leave to spend a week in the valley with a tribe and i am so excited...we really are just jumping right into this! hopefully i can update soon, but until then i hope all is well back home. lots of love from me to you! oh, ps...i saw zebras today! they were just out there chilling by the side of the road! i love this place.

5 comments:

  1. oh kevin. he is always present. i love you mmmmmkay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KEVIN?! I was there this weekend! :) Sounds like you're having a fantastic time! You're forever and always in my prayers and I can't wait to read more about KENYA KENYA KENYA! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Sarah Mckay!
    I'm soo excited for you! Wahoo!!
    And "Kevin" oh so perfect-home away from home.
    Be safe! Take a picture with a zebra!!
    I love you,
    Sarah Belles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KEVINNNNN!!! I love him. And zebras! Yay I am super excited for you and I'm a-prayin! lovey love love!
    merf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a beautiful place. I hope Kevin is a sign of the people you will work with, he sounds so special, as you are. Hope you take lots of pictures. I am envy of you but am soooo PROUD of you. Have fun, work hard, be safe.
    Love you lots
    Dad

    ReplyDelete