Friday, June 24, 2011

De-worming galore!

Greetings! This past week has been wonderful. Our team worked alongside a medical missions team from Texas. We stayed at the church in Kijabe and took a mutatu (bus) into one of the nearby IDP camps every morning. Throughout the week we were able to see over 1000 people...it was incredible! I primarily helped out in the pharmacy tent filling prescriptions and giving instructions on how they should take their medicine. None of us have studied medicine, so it was kind of funny acting like we held any authority in what we were doing. But now we are all pretty much qualified medical practitioners...no big deal. I witnessed a woman pulling out her own tooth one day...that was insane.

My favorite day was when some of us went to a nearby school with one of the doctors and helped give out worm medication. It was so great because I ended up talking with this big group of girls who knew a great deal of English so the communication barrier was practically non-existent. They kept talking about my skin and hair, asking me about home and what it is like there, telling me jokes, etc. One girl told me she was going to marry my brother...so Jack, there is a very nice girl named Emily who is eager to come to America some day to meet you. I got a picture of her too, so no worries. 

OH! To all you Wesley friends...one day at the IDP camp I heard someone shout my name & it was Henry Prevette! It was the craziest thing running into him...at an IDP camp...in Kenya!

I absolutely love my team and am having so much fun experiencing this with all of them. There are days when I feel so overwhelmed with the burdens these people in Kenya experience and it is easy to become frustrated in not knowing how to lift them. But at the same time, the joy that comes from them is something that I cannot wrap my mind around. I am learning so much from their lives and am so extremely grateful for that. 

It is crazy to think that it is almost July...I'm so eager for what the rest of the summer will bring. Starting Monday we will be in "the bush" spending our week with a Maasai tribe and I am so pumped for what we will experience there! 

Kwaheri! (goodbye)

So much love from Kenya,
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I think about you daily!! Sounds like you are having an amazing time. It reminds me of my times in Honduras! Thanks so much for sharing. I miss you and your beautiful smile and can't wait to see you. Look forward to your next post!!!
    Love you,
    Megg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running into Henry?! haha that's so awesome! I had wondered if ya'll would run into eachother (because Kenya isn't big or anything...). I LOVE reading your blog, it sounds like you are having an INCREDIBLE experience so far! I can't wait to hear about Jack and Emily's wedding in the upcoming years after they finally meet. That's so exciting to already have met your sister-in-law before your brother!

    P.S. Your mentioning of "squatty potty" in your previous blog post reminded me of our camping adventure at the beginning of the year :) I miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah!! I'm so excited to be able to read about everything that you're doing!! It sounds SO AMAZING. I hope that the next few weeks have everything you've imagined and more. You're touching lives and I'm so thrilled to be able to hear about it! I can't wait to listen to you talk about it when you get back!! God's doing amazing things through you and it's absolutely beautiful :)

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, this sounds like the grand adventure we were all hoping it would be. We're following along eagerly.
    Love you,
    Chad
    Mommy
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family in Litchfield.June 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM

    Dear Sarah,
    We love getting your updates and are happy you're safe and having a good time.
    As for us we're all chillin' at Litchfield.
    Love from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. st ends eva,

    Can't believe you saw Henry! INSANITY! I think about you often, talk about you as much as I can and am constantly making mental notes of things to tell you when you arrive back. Be well.

    Love you,
    be fri fo

    ReplyDelete