Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Start

Things are a-happenin' here! I'm wrapped up in this crazy vortex of the start of the new year here at FIU, the start of this new job, being in a new home, meeting all new people...new, new, new, new! (That word looks crazy when you think about it too long. I just sat here for a second questioning whether or not it was spelled correctly.) It's a situation where I just want to learn and fit and find my place in all of this. And this is a good thing, because I am excited and eager and itching to get things rolling. At the moment, though, I think I need to give myself permission to realize that 'belonging' and 'finding your place' does not happen overnight. I'm allowed to get lost, I'm allowed to tell students that I don't know the campus when they ask me where the chemistry building is, I'm allowed to admit that I have been here less than 2 weeks and don't know how things work, I'm allowed to not know the ins and outs of the campus ministry yet. It's okay. It's allowed.

The Wesley Foundation has immersed itself in all of the start of the year hullabaloo at Florida International University. We helped out with freshman move in day on Friday, have been 'tabling' on campus providing information to students who are interested in the campus ministry, talking to other clubs and organizations about some of the stuff we do, etc. There has been a club/student organization fair the past few days & a co-worker and I have been raising awareness about two awesome aspects of the Wesley Foundation. Starting last year, Wesley began a campaign to raise awareness of human trafficking to the campus and students here and had an amazing response! This year, The Freedom Campaign will occur again in October and she went around telling other clubs about it and gaining a lot of support. It's really awesome! I also went around to various clubs who focus on service, social justice, work in the community/abroad and told them about Wesley's grant program. It's a really cool initiative to provide funding to students or student organizations who are passionate about making a difference and encouraging change for the better. I am so excited about this & am thrilled to have this under my wing...I can't wait to see the applications and the creativity that will come from these students and organizations in order to bring about good in situations that need good.

We also had our first worship, or Community Night, on Monday. Again, it is so interesting to be involved in a new and unfamiliar campus ministry and learn the ropes of how they do their thing here. We are having a glow in the dark ultimate frisbee game in the housing quad tonight (wee!!!) and will be taking a trip to the beach on Saturday for anyone who is either new to Miami & wants to experience the area more (raises hand) or simply wants to go with some new friends to the ocean and play (raises other hand).

In other news, this past Sunday proved to be an amazing experience. I was borrowing internet from a nearby restaurant (hush hush) and realized that I wanted to try out some churches in the area. Having no prior knowledge, no awareness of the area, really, I typed in "progressive churches in the Miami area" and came upon a very cool place. I went by myself and tried it Sunday morning & was immediately thrown into such a warm welcome. What a passionate group of people who are really seeking to love, to include, to seek out good. I liked it so much. I am excited to go back this weekend and continue learning more and more about what they do and what they're about.

I am about to wrap this thing up. My goal for this evening before glow in the dark ultimate frisbee is to walk around and hopefully meet some neighbors. This also means speaking all Spanish. I hear people around 'Little Havana' where we live are quite gracious towards trying...I am already quite appreciative of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment