Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Welcome to Miami! Bienvenido a Miami!

I'm here! After a couple days of driving, a sleepover with a wonderful family and their dogs, some bitter first run ins with an extravagant presence of toll roads in this city, getting a tad turned around, and realizing just how much Spanish I really need to brush up on, Miami is where I am. This is my new home, people.

Something that is important for everyone to know right off the bat: there are more lizards here than you can even understand. Please join me in imagining a large amount of these small reptiles running around in your yard, on the walls, behind all things, etc. Yes, okay, good try...but you have underestimated. They are taking over. But I like them. I also saw some iguanas! Yeah!

After a couple days of driving, Jeff & I arrived in Miami to warm greetings & hospitality from my new housemates and friends. The next morning, after Mr. Verner was dropped off to continue another trek of bus traveling that would lead back to NC, I met up with the rest of the Wesley staff & leadership to drive to Key West for their leadership retreat. I am so thankful to have been a part of that. What a great time to get to know other new friends, while also getting the low down on this new campus ministry that I am now a part of. These people are so cool...and from everywhere! I just want to sit and listen to everyone and learn about their lives and cultures and experiences. It is going to be so exciting to find my place here and really figure out how to bring these passions for social justice and service into this new group of people. Adventures!

Upon returning to Miami, the next day was moving day and it was in full force. The Wesley Foundation has intentional living communities that they call the Wesley houses. Yesterday the mission was to completely move out all of the things in the old Wesley house into two new Wesley houses...one of which I am a resident. What a crazy day, but golly it feels so good to be in a permanent residence. I am in "The Blue House" with 4 other women. My roommates are wonderful. I am so excited to share life with these friends and make this house such a fun and great place to be. After proudly arranging our living room, putting together some bed frames, and admitting complete and utter exhaustion, we went to our first ever "family dinner" and it was so pleasant. I like these people.

I also saw FIU for the first time today! I've admitted to feeling like a freshman, coming for the first time and feeling a bit helpless, lost, and scared. I'll fit right in next week when all of the students start classes. But you better believe that I am going to conquer this campus and these crazy streets of Miami one of these days and it is going to be glorious...even if there will be a couple turn arounds along the way.

Now, I am going to journey for my first trip to the grocery store. And guess what? I'm not even going to get lost. (We'll see.) Maybe I can even practice some Spanish along the way. Thanks to everyone for all of the support, encouragement, and thoughts that have been sent my way through this transition. I am so very grateful!


1 comment:

  1. Super exciting. So glad you have been enjoying your first few days! Can't wait to hear more about your adventure as students begin arriving! Love you!

    ReplyDelete